Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tool #2: Building Community in the Online Environment

One of my college professors always told us that teaching is about "beg, borrowing and stealing"!  What do we do with our teammates and other teacher friends...oh yes we say things like, "Do you have...", "Can I borrow...", "Oh, wow that's a great idea.  I want to do that!"  Well the blogging world has enabled teachers from around the world to share ideas and let us get a peak inside their classrooms.  I LOVE reading teacher blogs and seeing new and creative ideas.  Teaching is getting a makeover!

I enjoy using Google Reader as it makes following my favorite blogs easier.  I get to see their updates in one places instead of going to my long (and disorganized I must admit) list of bookmarks.  Diigo sounds intriguing as well.  Also, commenting on other blogs is a great way to connect with each other and let others know if you need to beg, borrow, or "steal" from them.  I like visiting blogs like The Inspired Apple, The Grade Two Zoo, and Simply 2nd Resources.  Of course good ole Pinterest.com is always a growing obsession and helps spread the word of fantastic ideas.


2 comments:

  1. I really need to give my Google Reader another try! For some reason, it hasn't worked for me in the past. I have several blogs that I visit frequently in my bookmark or links toolbar. I also use Diigo a lot. I save interesting posts/blogs I come across there. I can always find them again when I have more time to spend on them. Unfortunately, I don't make it back to them as often as I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your post for TOOL #2! I am always inspired by other teachers'ideas and love the opportunity the internet gives us to unabashedly "beg, borrow and steal!" We have such an amazing opportunity to tap into the educational community at-large! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete